Sunday, October 28, 2012

Noise


With the way things are going these days we need some reminder to slow down, ease up, lean back and raise our feet on the footstool and take a break from the noise of the real world. In other words not to get our panties in a bunch over stuff. I somehow get the feeling that more and more people are finding it difficult to relax and be comfortable in their own skin. It seems to me that something or someone always manages to get our goat, to steal our thunder one way or another. Suddenly we are stumped and dumbfounded (if they are not the same thing).

Noise is the culprit. That is what it is and it seems to be driving us to and keeping us on the edge. Oftentimes I had to strain to listen to myself think because it is just too damn noisy, life is too noisy. The tasks that needs to be accomplished at work, the bills that need to get paid, the social circles to move around in, the family to dote on. The meal to order in a restaurant, the clothes to wear tomorrow and all the other action thoughts that scurry around in our head. There's also the people that are talking to us, with us, over us, agreeing, dissenting, cutting us off, mouthing words that are not in sync with what is going on in the mind. People wanting explanations for things we know nothing about or offering explanations we did not want to hear in the first place. Just a whole lotta noise, indeed talk is cheap.

I long for a mute button to silence the ruckus, to be able to see the thoughts swimming in my head but not hear them. To be able to drown out the sound of talking heads. I long to sit back with my arms raised and my hands clasped at the back of my neck while barbecued burgers cook on one side of me and a long tall drink sits in a table on the other. Of course I want my mind to be free of all but good thoughts as Dave Matthews plays on the background. “I am no superman, I have no answers for you, I am no hero oh that's for sure…” or “I’m the king of the castle, you’re the dirty rascal, crash into me, please crash into me baby…” 

Author: Monie Maunay
email: buddygallagher@gmail.com

Share

No comments:

Post a Comment