Monday, October 29, 2012

With Friends Like These...

Imagine this, you have a batch-mate in high school whom you probably exchanged no more than five words with send you an friend invite in one of them social networking sites. You try to place their face from 15-20 years ago and if you fail you check which friends you have in common. You see a fairly good number of common friends so you go right ahead and click the accept button. Instantly you get a blow-by-blow account of how their life is going, you get heaps of notifications requesting you to be their neighbor and worse, you get tagged in ugly photographs of you that you never even knew existed!

If you are not cyber-phobic you probably do not have a method to accepting friend requests and if you are not cyber-savvy then you are in for a rude awakening -- that you cannot immediately undo that simple act of accepting a friend request from a non-friend. You can thank the developers over at that social networking site you signed up to for installing a sometimes intricate set of functions to undo what you’ve done (unfriend, block, hide, unsubscribe...). They do have a confusing function that will allow you to categorize the texture of your relationship with your online friends. Little by little you get to filter every aspect of your account and by doing so you finally enjoy the experience. But not before all your friends have seen what you do not want seen...

Last time I checked I had 800 plus friends half of which I probably do not know from Adam. These days when I log on to my Facebook account my first act is to either hide or unsubscribe from people I do not really know nor care to know. That is because I have not figured out completely how to filter my friendships properly (and I’ve had the account since 2008 I think). Social networking is indeed a two-edged sword of entertainment and frustration. 

Author: Monie Maunay
email: buddygallagher@gmail.com

Share


No comments:

Post a Comment