Monday, October 29, 2012

You and What Army?

There are certain times throughout the course of our lives when we get involved in some messy business with our names getting dragged in the mud through no fault of our own. When the only thing left to do to save our own ass is to fight back and get even…yes to go for the jugular.

And not a few times during situations like the one I described above, do we get the whole thing just blow up in our faces. Our grand scheme to get back at someone backfires or bites us in the same ass we tried to save, our ass that is.

I have to say I am a peace loving person. I abhor any form of fighting and the only battles I fight are the ones that I am certain to win. I am now reminded of a line from a Hall and Oates song that goes: "Being too strong is a weakness girl, cuz when you fight the world you know who's gonna win..." The battles I cannot win, I walk away from. Never ashamed to throw in the towel or raise the white flag. More importantly, I am never embarrassed to extend the olive branch.

But what really excites us are the battles we know we're going to win. And whenever I get those, I prepare for it, I lay it down carefully and I savor every last bit of my revenge. Let's say you had a beef with a total loser, someone who has made it their mission to destroy you, to bleed you to break you…someone who has it in for you. Maybe you just rub them the wrong way or maybe you have offended them unwittingly. Maybe you out-shined or upstaged them and instead of fighting fair they start attacking you.

Now some would declare war outright with guns blazing, but some would retreat to regroup before making an exquisite counter-attack. I fancy the latter and I know I can only maneuver my revenge if I am completely clean and faultless in the whole mess. My favorite weapons are silence and kindness . My good friend Jun Co couldn't have described it better when he quoted the Romans, and I mean the bible's book of Romans:

Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath,
for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.
On the contrary:
"If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head."

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.



Author: Monie Maunay
email: buddygallagher@gmail.com
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment